Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Movie Idea?

I just thought of an idea for a movie and I wanted to write it out before I forgot it. I went to sleep last night, as I do every once in a while, with the idea that I may die while I sleep. This made me think about the futility of life. Then I fell asleep. This morning at work I realized that if heaven exists, which make no mistake I think it does, I have no idea what it is like. What if heaven is different for everyone?

Here’s my premise:
Someone, the everyman, protagonist, good guy, is living a life where everything seems to be going wrong. He fights with his girlfriend/wife that he’s stuck with, he gets screwed at his job, he continues self improvement (working out etc…) with no avail, although it seems as though he has done nothing to deserve it. Then he finds himself in a dangerous situation which makes you wonder if he is dead. I.E. Robbery at a gas station after a fight with girl. Gun shot? (Where did the bullet go?) Black screen. Next scene is him waking up with a smile. Everything goes right. His girl is now the perfect girl; he gets his raise or promotion or maybe wins the lottery and gets to quit his job. At any rate, everything is heavenly. Obviously I don’t want to go the Sixth Sense route and save the, “He was dead the whole time!” for the end. So, some sort of revelation would reveal the fact that he died in the convenience store.

Now here’s where I stopped having concrete ideas. Now there are so many directions this can be taken. There’s the obvious juxtaposition of another person living a great life as far as material possessions, but is a bad person. He dies and goes to a similar fate but everything goes badly. Therefore he’s in hell. Or I can do the Matrix type of everything is perfect but I still want out of here! But my favorite is the idea of the everyman doing something bad in his life that isn’t revealed until towards the end of the movie, possibly a rape at a young age or an accidental murder where he doesn’t tell anybody. This could be revealed where his once thought of heaven is starting to go badly. He starts getting annoyed by the “perfect world,” a world where he can do no wrong. To the point where he does something drastic to get in trouble, like possibly murdering his girl, but there is no negative reaction by the public. This can be where he realizes that he is dead and questions his existence in the world. Now it can be revealed that he is actually in hell not heaven and why he is there. Maybe all the news in his own world can be focusing on the incident that put him in hell. It can start with a headline in a newspaper that reads, “Body found in a hit and run,” with a past date. News stations are also reporting the dead hobo so on… all leading to a grand flashback of him stashing a body that he accidentally hit on a bad night leaving school (home, bar). Revealing that he is actually in hell.

Ya, that’s the best idea there.

3 comments:

alan said...

There was this Twilight Zone episode where the guy thought he was in heaven because he was in this awesome place with a pool hall and everything was going his way... every time he'd break all the balls would go in the pockets, there were all these girls around, etc... but then he got sick of everything being perfect, so he asked the God character if he could go to "the other place" instead, and God was like "this IS the other place." dum dum dummmmmm.

Mike said...

Dammit!
I still consider my idea an original one. I'll just pretend like i never heard of the twilight zone episode.

What Twilight Zone episode.

Mark Mason said...

it is because you don't watch the twilight zone, just like My Sweet Lord was George Harrison's original song.