Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Icky Thump


The White Stripes have done it again. It seems, to me, that Jack White can do no wrong. Although I can’t say that is the best work that they have done, I can say that it is just as good as Broken Boy Soldiers, the Raconteurs’ amazing first album.

This is Jack’s and Meg’s trip back to Bluesville. “Many people think that the White Stripes have nothing to do with the Blues,” says Jack White speaking about playing a Blues Festival in New England. If you still think that is true after hearing Icky Thump, then you are dead wrong. Throw in a little Led Zeppelin, some Buddy Guy, and a dash of Scottish charm and you get Icky Thump.

I have been excited about this album since they announced it. I, personally, wasn’t sure if there was going to be any more White Stripes albums. I love the title track, and there are many other blues hits on this album. If you don’t jump a little the first time you hear the solo on “300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues” then you must have nerves of steel. There is still lots of Meg and Jack fun on this album. On “Rag and Bone,” a “skit-song,” it seems like they are poking fun at consumerism by making fun of yard sales.

Buy this album.

2 comments:

thebalti said...

Hmm. Don't really know White Stripes. If they sound a little Zepplinish, I should really check them out. If they're doing potty language, I probably shouldn't...not so good for the young impressionable kidlets. Gah!

Mike said...

no i don't think they have bad language at all...as far as i know